Humidity Can Make the Heat Feel Much Worse
Humidity is the amount of water vapor that is in the air. The higher the humidity, the more water is present in the air. And because hotter air is less dense, it can hold more water. So higher temperatures are more capable of higher humidity. This is why the summer heat can feel so intense. High humidity also makes it feel hotter. A dehumidifier is an excellent investment to keep a home much more comfortable and increase its air quality during the summer.
How Do Dehumidifiers Work?
The original air conditioner created was intended primarily for dehumidifying. It pulled the moisture out of the air and helped keep the paper in the publishing house from curling and tearing from the humidity. A whole-home dehumidifier is a device used to reduce the humidity in an indoor area.
It works by drawing air into the unit, which is cooled and passed through a filter to extract moisture from it. This moisture then condenses on cold evaporator coils and drips into a collection pan or is discharged directly outside. As humid air passes over the cold coils, it cools and releases moisture into the collection pan, while dry air continues to be released throughout the home or space. The dehumidifier continues this cycle until the optimal humidity levels are reached.
What Indicates the Need for a Whole House Dehumidifier?
Even if a home has a properly working air conditioning system and the temperature stays relatively comfortable, that does not mean that a dehumidifier would be a waste. It can actually assist the cooling system and make its work easier. Several things can happen in a home that signals that a dehumidifier, especially a whole-house dehumidifier, is necessary, including:
- Musty smells in the house that cannot be removed indicate too much moisture.
- Mold and mildew growth run rampant in high humidity.
- Condensation on the windows and walls of a home shows a need to remove moisture.
- Allergies and asthma more regularly triggered in the home may indicate a humidity problem.
What Are the Advantages of Having a Dehumidifier?
Some benefits of having a whole home dehumidifier installed are listed below.
- Indoor Air Quality: High humidity can actually keep other pollutants like allergens and VOCs in the air. The humidity can also make breathing more difficult for people with chronic lung issues like asthma.
- Home Comfort: The home will feel cooler and more comfortable with less moisture in the air.
- Preservation of Property: High humidity and moisture can invite mold and mildew, damage a home’s structure, and damage furniture and floors. A dehumidifier helps prevent that.
- Easy on the AC: A whole-house dehumidifier makes the air conditioner’s job easier by removing moisture, which can improve the efficiency of the AC and reduce energy costs.
About PAC Plumbing, Heating, Air Conditioning
PAC Plumbing, Heating, Air Conditioning is an award-winning company serving Staten Island and the surrounding areas. They provide options to fit a budget, fast turnarounds, and maintenance plans. Call them today for dehumidifier installation services in Staten Island, NY.