How To Know When Air Duct Replacement or Repair Is Necessary
According to EnergyStar, air ducts can last for years with minimal maintenance. One doesn’t need to clean their air ducts regularly, and repairs aren’t needed unless there’s damage. However, air ducts don’t last forever. A professional may need to assess the situation and render repairs.
Below, homeowners can read the basics of what they should know about their home’s air ducts. If they have additional questions, they should contact a local technician.
Three Signs of Air Duct Damage
Air ducts are usually made of metal, inherently reducing the likelihood of bacteria, mildew, and mold growth. Yet, this doesn’t mean air ducts are resistant to damage. Signs that it’s time to consider air duct repair or replacement include:
- Foul smell or infestation. Air ducts are dark, well-ventilated tunnels hidden in the home’s floors, frames, and ceilings. This makes them the perfect place for rodents and other pests to call home, especially during the harsh summer and winter months. Pests are breeding grounds for germs and can compromise the home’s indoor air quality and cause a foul smell. After removing the pests, one may remove the air duct system to limit the harm to residents’ health.
- Rising energy bills. Holes, cracks, and other leaks in the home’s ductwork can cause air to escape the HVAC system. This can cause the air conditioner to work harder, increasing monthly energy bills.
- Strange noises. Over time, ductwork can become unsecured from its location, causing an unpleasant rattling sound. This isn’t just inconvenient; soon, it can become a larger problem.
Age, a lack of efficiency, and other factors may warrant air duct replacement. Again, a professional can assess one’s HVAC system and explain more.
The Main Benefits of Air Duct Replacement
Having a clean and efficient new ductwork system yields countless benefits, including:
- Better indoor air quality. A well-functioning HVAC system can limit airborne particles and improve the home’s indoor air quality. It can also reduce humidity and other unpleasant conditions.
- Lower energy bills. Poorly-functioning ductwork allows air to escape the home. This increases how often homeowners may need to use the air conditioning system. When ductwork operates as expected, this lowers electricity consumption and energy bills.
Other benefits of well-functioning air ducts include less noise, better circulation, and desirable temperatures.
How Would a Professional Repair Failing Ductwork?
Replacing the home’s ductwork isn’t always necessary. A professional may instead assess the home’s HVAC system and repair it. Some duct repairs include:
- Remove any mold growth or pests from the ductwork
- Replace certain ducts and not others
- Patch any leaks or cracks that let air escape
- Place more insulation around the ductwork
- Remove built-up moisture from the system
A professional can do more than render necessary repairs. They can also explain what preventive measures could keep the air duct system functioning for years to come.
About PAC Plumbing, Heating, Air Conditioning
PAC Plumbing, Heating, Air Conditioning is a disabled veteran-owned business with over 40 years of experience serving Staten Island, NY, and the surrounding areas. They provide fast turnarounds, maintenance plans, and options to fit any budget. Call them today for heating and air conditioning services in Staten Island, NY.