When you think of common household plumbing issues, clogged toilets and drains are probably the first things that come to mind. That’s because they’re the most common! The toilets and drains in your home have a tendency to clog with more regularity because they are two of the most used fixture types in your home. While toilet and drain clogs can be inconvenient, they can also be unhealthy, which is why it’s essential that you schedule for professional drain cleaning services right away.
When you experience either of these unfortunate situations, it can really impact your day. But don’t stress - PAC Plumbing, Heating, Air Conditioning can fix those pesky clogs quickly and for good. Our experienced Woodbridge Township, NJ plumbing contractors are trained to diagnose and repair your clogs thoroughly, no matter how severe.
Tired of taking cold showers? Call us today to upgrade to a tankless water heater.
What Causes Clogged Toilets and Drains?
There are a lot of ways to clog a toilet or drain in your home, which can make repairs tricky at times. But, don’t despair - with professional drain cleaning services, most clogs are able to be repaired. Prevention, however, is one of the most effective tools in avoiding these annoying situations, to begin with.
Here are a few things that can commonly cause toilet and drain clogs and what you can do to stop them:
- Soap Residue - Soap, particularly bar soap, is comprised of grease and fat. With use over time, the grease and fat particles in the soap can combine with mineral deposits in your pipes and cause a build-up. When this happens, you’ll need professional clogged drain repair to resolve the issue. Switching to liquid soap can help prevent this problem in the future.
- Toilet Paper - One of the most common ways to clog a toilet is with too much toilet paper. Sometimes, you can fix the problem with the use of a household plunger; however, when you can’t free the clog you’ll need the assistance of a plumbing technician. It’s important that stopped-up toilets are repaired rapidly as this type of waste can cause unhealthy exposure to those in your home. Going forward, minimize how much toilet paper gets flushed at one time and ensure you have a high-efficiency model toilet.
- Hair - When hair goes down the drain, it can attach to soap scum and mineral build-ups, forming clogs. Make sure you have guards over all your drains, especially in showers and tubs, to catch hair before it washes down.
- Dirt - Dirt is not often thought of as the culprit of a drain clog, but it’s more common than you think. Excess dirt can attach to minerals, oil, and soap scum in your drains and quickly form a clog. To prevent this issue from happening, try to remove as much dirt as you can from your clothes and body before washing.
Small Objects - When small objects get stuck in your plumbing, it usually requires professional help to clear. Keep watch over young children to prevent foreign items from going down your toilets or sinks, and try to make sure nothing but water, toilet paper, and human waste ever go down your drains.
- Minerals - Your home’s tap water, especially hard water, contains minerals. These minerals can collect on the inside of your drains and form tough clogs. Being as proactive as possible with mineral build-up is key; routinely descaling your pipes and installing a water softening system can help.
- Food Waste - Don’t let your garbage disposal fool you - food waste, including coffee grounds and grease, do not have a place going down your sink. Collect any food waste prior to placing dishes in the sink and throw it away or compost it accordingly.
- Tree Roots - Blockages due to tree roots will always require professional help. When trees grow near your home, there’s a chance their roots can grow into your pipe structure and cause a clog or further damage. To prevent this situation, monitor the placement of your trees and their root structure to ensure your plumbing isn’t being affected.
When you need drain cleaning services to fix your clog, call PAC Plumbing, Heating, Air Conditioning. We offer top-quality methods that not only solve your clogging issues but also are safe on your pipes.
When Should You Replace Your Toilet?
A professional clogged toilet repair can usually fix the issue of your toilet not flushing waste down, but there are times when replacing your toilet becomes necessary. PAC Plumbing, Heating, Air Conditioning can handle your toilet installation and replacement when this is the case.
When you notice the following issues, it may be time to look for a new fixture for your home:
- When your waste doesn’t flush the first time and requires multiple flushes
- If you experience recurring clogs multiple times within a month
- If a crack or other damage is present in your toilet’s bowl or tank
- When your water bill is increasingly more expensive
Do any of these problems sound familiar? Our plumbing contractors can help with all your toilet repair and installation needs.
We can also help you add a bit of flair and comfort to the bathroom in your Woodbridge Township, NJ home with some toilet upgrades. With modern features like heated seats and even bidets, you can add a bit of luxury to your home with a quality toilet replacement.
Whether you need fixture, sink, or garbage disposal services, we can tackle all your kitchen plumbing needs!
When DIY Drain Cleaning Doesn’t Work, Call for Expert Help
To keep your drains in good shape, routine maintenance throughout the month can help. Avoid harsh chemical drain cleaners and DIY fixes as this can cause more harm than help. Store-bought chemicals, for example, can deteriorate your plumbing. The more you use it, the weaker your pipes get, until they burst completely.
When you have a clog that’s causing slow draining, overflow, or standing water, it’s time to call in the professionals at PAC Plumbing, Heating, Air Conditioning. It’s important that drain clogs are dealt with quickly, as they can promote mold and bacteria growth and damage your home. When you need it most, our plumbing contractors are here to help!